The Artist

Most of the people that read my blog know me in person... or at least have met me in person... so they have an idea of who I am... for new people who happen to stumble upon my blog, I figure I'd do a little introduction... of me... the artist behind the work...

Before I do that, for those who don't know how to pronounce my name  --- I just wanted to clarify... it's Jamilah, enunciated like vanilla (not Jameela like tequila)... which is what I tell people I first meet, and it seems to work... they remember =) Jamilah, like vanilla... maybe annoying -- but hey, it works!

As you know I specialize in wedding & portrait photography... this love of photography began my freshman year in college, when I took my first photography class (which wasn't my last)... I remember my first time in the dark room, grappling in complete darkness -- clumsily putting the film in the canister... a little claustrophobic at first, but I got used to it... I ended up taking three more  years of black and white photography, and was a few digital classes shy of getting an associates degree in photography... I think my four years of photography classes really helped to mold my craft... and today, when I'm not capturing people, I like to capture the beauty that surrounds me... and capture things that take my breath away...

artist

artist

aside from photography, I'm a lover of all artistic mediums... my creativity started brewing back in elementary school, when all I wanted to do was draw and write stories... aside from drawing, I'd make things... when I couldn't buy Barbie's van, I made one out of a shoe box! And my friends loved playing with it =)  I've dabbled into many things... sketching... scrapbooking (which I sadly don't have time for)... even painting... below is my first oil painting (painted four years ago)... of course, painted in my favorite color!

artist

I even started knitting! Thanks to my mother-in-law, who taught me how to knit on a loom... the blue one is an incomplete baby blanket for my nephew... and the gray is an incomplete scarf... didn't I tell you I was a gemini? I specialize on leaving trails of unfinished projects =) (I'm working on it though!)
artist

lastly, my other love... writing... I started writing poetry in middle school (maybe even fifth grade)... and began journaling in high school... collecting favorite quotes, writing down poetry, my personal journey in life, and any random thoughts...
artist

this is where my style of {dot}{dot}{dot} came along... my poetic way of writing my trail of thoughts...
artist

one of my favorite classes in college was my writing class... I loved my professor, because he really challenged me... and brought out the best in my writing...
artist

well, that's all for now... I hope you enjoyed the read =) Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

your photos are so beautiful!

xxx
Charlie
http://pinkwater-lily.blogspot.com/

jamilah said...

awww, thank you so much Charlie =)
so sweet...